Original recipe from Indonesia
Submitted by Claudia Rumondor from The Netherlands
500 grams Flour
500 grams Fine sugar
300 cc 7-Up
2 Egg yolks
NB. You will need a steamer and special moulds for Bolu Kukus.
1. Cut about 30 layers of baking paper (or use small paper cake forms) to cover the moulds.
2. Mix the sugar and the eggs until it’s raised.
3. Add the 7-Up and continue mixing.
4. Add the flour and keep mixing for another 5-7 minutes.
5. Prepare the steamer and heat it with high flame until the water is boiling. Put the mixture into the mould. Fill up 3/4 of a mould; close the lid and steam for 20 minutes.
DO NOT OPEN THE LID TOO SOON
It takes 4-5 times to get the whole lot steamed.
TIP: in order to make the cakes more colorful, take a part of the dough and mix it with dye or use cocoa. Combine the plain dough with the colored mixture when pouring it in the moulds.